Top Ten ‘Must See’ Acts At Treasure Island Music Festival 2012
I’ve been fortunate enough as a devote music fan to attend some storied festivals over the years – Lollapalooza, Coachella, Reading, Glastonbury, Outside Lands, etc- and I gotta say that my absolute favorite of them all could quite possibly be the Treasure Island Music Festival!
It’s a combination of the intimacy of the festival, the breathtaking picturesque view of the San Francisco landscape, the uniqueness of enjoying a music festival on an island in the middle of the Bay AND of course the stellar line-up of cutting edge indie, EDM, folk, hip-hop, experimental and underground acts. For the sixth annual T.I. Music Festival the folks over at Another Planet and Noise Pop have assembled another fantastic 2-day lineup.
My top 10 acts that I’m most excited to see this weekend:
1. GRIMES - Canadian ethereal-pop artist from one of my favorite indie labels of all-time 4AD records released a spellbinding album this year ‘VISIONS’ which will easily land on my top 10 of 2012. She sold out Rickshaw a few months ago and left me wanting more.
2. ARAABMUZIK – skeptics of DJ culture and a cynics of who question a DJs ability to perform beyond the stigma of simply pressing buttons or looking cool behind their laptop MUST witness this hip-hop/dubstep/ghettotech producer over the weekend. Trust me.
3. M83 – Parisian nu-gazers, armed with their massive hit ‘Midnight City’ return to the Bay Area after selling out two Fillmore shows back in April.
4. WILD BELLE – I was blown away with this new blues/ska/reggae-inspired Chicago duo when I saw them at SXSW in Austin this year. Just inked with Rick Ruben and Columbia Records after an insensitive major label bidding war.
5. PORTER ROBINSON – one of America’s biggest new starts of the EDM scene, Porter hails from the predominately indie rock dominated confines of Chapel Hill, North Carolina – home to Arcade Fire’s Merge Records – and yet is the architect of the some of the biggest club anthems of the last few years. Break out the glow sticks and prepare to shake your ass.
6. KFLAY – the precocious and multi-talented Bay Area MC and product of Stanford University KFLAY brings her energetic live shows and hella tight rhymes to the isle this weekend after KILLING it in the Subsonic tent at BFD over the summer.
7. THE XX – London hypotonic-dark-atmospheric outfit, and winners of the prestigious 2010 Mercury Music Award for their critically-acclaimed self-titled debut album, have quickly ascended to one of today’s most beloved and successful independent artists. Locally, the band has gone from playing intimate SF clubs like Great American Music Hall and the Independent to Oakland’s Fox Theater and now, headlining day two of Treasure Island 2012. The XX released their sophomore album COEXIST last month and the record went on to impressively debut at #4 nationally on the top US Billboard charts.
8. PUBLIC ENEMY – pioneering hip-hop legends + Flavor Flav + Chuck D = enough said.
9. TYCHO – I cannot visualize a better place to experience a Tycho show other than on the island this weekend all enhanced and elevated by the spectacular views of the SF skyline! Based here in the city, local chillwave/experimental producer creates dreamy electronic soundscapes and airy downtempo symphonies that is ubiquitous with such a breathtaking backdrop.
10. THE PRESETS – Aussie electro-punks and label mates with such noted dance acts as CUT COPY and BAG RAIDERS make their first return to the Bay Area in over 4 years as one of the key anchors of the Saturday night lineup! The Presets, who just released an excellent new album PACIFICA, their 4th, on popular Australian dance label Modular Records, would appeal to a broad-based spectrum of alternative dance fans as their influences range from Underworld, LCD Soundsystem and Daft Punk to ‘80s synthpop progenitors like Depeche Mode, New Order and Human League.
Click here for complete details on Treasure Island 2012!
– Aaron Axelsen, Music Director/Live 105 San Francisco