Origin: Oakland, CA
Label: Breakup Records
- New single “Dirtbag Side Effect” video released early February
- In 2013 the band was chosen to take part in Converse Rubber Tracks sponsorship series at Different Fur studios to record a few tracks
1. What Bay Area city do you call home?
We all live in Oakland except Tyler’s from Novato. Chris was a prep school slacker at Lick WIlmerding. Sivan dropped out of Head Royce, and Tyler went to Novato High School. We suck!
2. How long have you been a band for and where did you all basically meet?
We’ve been a band for just over a year (and what a fucking sweet year!). Sivan and Chris, both Bay Area natives, started writing songs in Brooklyn a few years ago after being introduced by a mutual friend. Sivan’s dreamy psychedelic style and Chris’ rock sensibilities immediately exploded into days of songwriting and recording. Then Chris had to move back to SF but they continued their collaboration by sending digital song files back and forth from coast to coast. When school was over for Sivan in NY she moved back to Cali to make Everyone Is Dirty happen for real. That’s when they met Tony Sales, dream drummer, an Oaklander via Wisconsin, son/nephew of the iconic Sales Brothers (Iggy Pop, Tin Machine), and a monster player in the vein of Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, and Elvin Jones. After a living room jam, they all had instant musical chemistry as well as a mutual love for Karaoke, raw oysters, and gambling with dice.Tyler English was the last to join as bassist. We asked him to join when we saw his fierce musicianship on display rocking with False Priest at Bottom of The Hill. The timing was perfect because False Priest was about to take a hiatus. We had to sneak Tyler into the first few gigs as he was a few months shy of his 21st birthday.
3. Upcoming shows?
3/7 Next Week! Slims with The Greening and Sweet Chariot
3/15 – Art Boutiki in San Jose
4/5 – Bottom of the Hill with Happy Fangs and Rich Girls
5/1 – The Makeout Room with A Million Billion Dying Suns
4. Your favorite local venues to play?
Rickshaw Stop, Bottom of The Hill, Amnesia
Oakland: The Stork Club, The Night Light
5. 5 places we may find you hanging out in your hometown?
If you want to find us we are probably either practicing at our studio in Temescal, recording in our living room, singing cheesy Billy Joel tunes at Nick’s Karaoke, hiking in Tilden Park, playing Erotic Photo Hunt at The Avenue, or eating a burger and a chocolate shake at The Smokehouse.
6. What was the most f*cked up thing that ever happened to you at a gig?
Tony: A friend gave birth…to the messiah of rock and roll.
Sivan: Dumb shit happens all the time cuz I’m a clutz! Once the mic somehow came unplugged from the cable at Brick & Mortar while I was singing. My violin has come unplugged before while I’m jumping around. I smashed the mic into my teeth. Watch out, I’m a dumbass!
7. 7 items we may find on your hospitality rider?
Sushi & sake, heated moist toilettes, dice & dollar bills, throat-coat tea with ginger, really good coffee, fluffy white robes, in and out burger & Jaegermeister.
8. If you could put together your dream music festival what 8 bands would you book to play with you? (alive or deceased, active or inactive)
James Brown, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Sonic Youth, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Velvet Underground & Nico, Bjork and Peaches
9. When not recording music, rehearsing, playing shows, etc, where does each band member work?
Production Assistant, cannabis dispensary, Whole Foods.
10. What else can we expect from the band in 2014?
We are working soooo hard to release our first full-length album this Spring. We will be going on a national tour this Summer. We are releasing a music video for our single California this summer too. There’s more!!!