Origin: Ripon and San Francisco, CA
Official Site: frenchcassettes.net
1. What Bay Area city do you call home?
2. How long have you been a band for and where did you all basically meet?
I think it’s been maybe 6 years. Scott(vocals) and his brother Thomas(bass) started writing songs when they were around 11 and eventually met most of the group in high school. It was a small town called Ripon. After moving to SF we found our current drummer James through the jazz scene here.
3. Your favorite local venues to play?
Amnesia, The Chapel, Bottom of the Hill, Great American Music Hall, Brick & Mortar. It makes a huge difference to play venues with staff that aren’t just employed for the night, but actually care about making it a great gig.
4. 5 places we may find you hanging out in your hometown?
1. Club Deluxe on Haight&Ashbury watching James at one of his jazz gigs.
2. Sloshball in Golden Gate Park
3. Bocce ball at Ocean Beach
4. James’ garage in Glen Park. That’s the new writing/jamming spot
5. Easy Money in the Sunset simply because, “if they don’t have it…you don’t need it”
5. What was the most f*cked up thing that ever happened to you at a gig?
Wow. Well one time when we were little high school kids we got asked to play outside a blood bank for a blood drive and were promised a “huge crowd” with “at least a hundred people!” and we were young enough to fall for it. Nobody came and they had to pull staff from their jobs to watch us. We played to 100 fold up chairs. That wasn’t even the f*cked up part, then they tried to make up for it with a free tour and I almost passed out from all the blood.
6. 7 items we may find on your hospitality rider?
-Settlers of Catan
-ELO greatest hits
-Nutrageous candy bars
-wide variety of fedoras
7. If you could put together your dream music festival what 8 bands would you book to play with you? (alive or deceased, active or inactive)
-The Gaylads opening up for
-maybe a Neil Young speech on mp3’s and the death of quality digital music
-Robert Downey Jr. sings the Police like in that one Ally McBeal episode
8. When not recording music, rehearsing, playing shows, etc, where does each band member work?
Mac rocks it at Fluffy Co. I think they make shirts?
James does the jazz gigs
Thomas co-owns a house