The 16th annual Bay Area Peace Lantern Ceremony is set to take place on Saturday, August 5 at Berkeley’s Aquatic Park (80 Bolivar Drive) from 6:30 PM – 9 PM.
The ceremony of floating lanterns is done in remembrance to the lives lost in the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.
Here’s a schedule of the evening’s events:
6:30 – 8:00 PM — activities:
- Decorating shades for floating peace lanterns & other participatory art activities
- Information display about nuclear arms
7:00 – 8:00 PM — Ceremony:<
- Hibakusha, survivors of the Japanese atomic bombings
- Drumming by Heiwa (Peace) Taiko
- Messages from the majors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
>8:00 – 9:00 PM:
- Floating of lanterns
For more on the 2017 ceremony head here.